Re: Autovacuum Logging

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Will Reese <wreese(at)rackspace(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Autovacuum Logging
Date: 2006-04-28 19:15:05
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
On Thursday 27 April 2006 11:59, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Well, one problem now is that everytime pg_autovacuum opens a database,
> a message is placed in the logs:
>
> 	LOG:  autovacuum: processing database "test"
> 	LOG:  autovacuum: processing database "test"
> 	LOG:  autovacuum: processing database "test"
> 	LOG:  autovacuum: processing database "test"
>
> This is certainly not desirable.  I changed the message to DEBUG1 for
> 8.2 with the attached patch.

IMHO this is less optimal, since the default installation will provide no way
for users to verify that autovacuum is running.  Currently we can direct them
to look in thier log output, this way we would have to tell them to crank up
logging to DEBUG1 and then look, which will of course contain a whole lot of
other chatter at that level.

The best solution I have seen so far is the idea of a GUC to control
autovacuums chatter level.  I hope we get that becuase the above will be a
regression imho.

--
Robert Treat