Re: Running on an NFS Mounted Directory

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: Ketema Harris <ketema(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Stone <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Running on an NFS Mounted Directory
Date: 2006-04-27 13:09:50
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 08:57:51AM -0400, Ketema Harris wrote:
> OK.  My thought process was that having non local storage as say a big raid
> 5 san ( I am talking 5 TB with expansion capability up to 10 ) would allow
> me to have redundancy, expandability, and hopefully still retain decent
> performance from the db.  I also would hopefully then not have to do
> periodic backups from the db server to some other type of storage.  Is this
> not a good idea?  How bad of a performance hit are we talking about?  Also,
> in regards to the commit data integrity, as far as the db is concerned once
> the data is sent to the san or nas isn't it "written"?  The storage may have
> that write in cache, but from my reading and understanding of how these
> various storage devices work that is how they keep up performance.  I would
> expect my bottleneck if any to be the actual Ethernet transfer to the
> storage, and I am going to try and compensate for that with a full gigabit
> backbone.

Well, if you have to have both the best performance and remote attach
storage, I think you'll find that a fibre-channel SAN is still the king
of the hill.  4Gb FC switches are common now, though finding a 4Gb
HBA for your computer might be a trick.  2Gb HBAs are everywhere in
FC land.  That's a premium price solution, however, and I don't know
anything about how well PG would perform with a FC SAN.  We use our
SAN for bulk science data and leave the PGDB on a separate machine
with local disk.

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu