Re: Running on an NFS Mounted Directory

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: Ketema Harris <ketema(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Running on an NFS Mounted Directory
Date: 2006-04-27 02:35:42
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:06:58PM -0400, Ketema Harris wrote:
> I was wondering if there were any performance issues with having a data
> directory that was an nfs mounted drive?  Say like a SAN or NAS device? Has
> anyone done this before?

My understanding is that NFS is pretty poor in performance in general,
so I would expect it to be particularly bad for a DB.  You might run
some (non-DB) performance tests to get a feel for how bad it might me.
(Someone once told me that NFS topped out at around 12MB/s, but I don't
know if that's really true [they were trying to sell a competitive
networked filesystem]).

In any event, you're at least limited by ethernet speeds, if not more.

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu