Re: Introducing a new linux readahead framework

From: Wu Fengguang <wfg(at)mail(dot)ustc(dot)edu(dot)cn>
To: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Introducing a new linux readahead framework
Date: 2006-04-21 12:20:28
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi Markus,

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:53:34AM +0200, Markus Schaber wrote:
> Are there any rough estimates when this will get into mainline kernel
> (if you intend to submit)?

I'm not quite sure :)

The patch itself has been pretty stable.  To get it accepted, we must
back it by good benchmarking results for some important applications.
I have confirmed that file service via FTP/HTTP/NFS can more or less
benefit from it. However, database services have not been touched yet.
Oracle/DB2 seem to bypass the readahead code route, while postgresql
relies totally on kernel readahead logic. So if postgresql is proved
to work well with this patch, it will have good opportunity to go into
mainline :)

Thanks,
Wu