Re: Field length ??

From: Louise Catherine <r1c4n(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Field length ??
Date: 2006-04-20 06:08:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi ,

With this table :
create table test(
satu char(10),
dua char(5)
);

To get the field length, I use this query:

select atttypmod from pg_attribute where
attname='satu' and
attrelid=(select oid from pg_class where relname='test');
---> result 1 : 14

select atttypmod from pg_attribute where
attname='dua' and
attrelid=(select oid from pg_class where relname='test');
---> result 2 : 9

Could anyone explain, why the field length must be add by 4 :
result 1 : 10 + 4 =14
result 2 : 5 + 4 = 9

Could I use this query ? Is it valid?
select atttypmod-4 from pg_attribute where
attname='satu' and
attrelid=(select oid from pg_class where relname='test');

Thank's,
Rina