Re: Looking for some help with cascading updates...

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Looking for some help with cascading updates...
Date: 2006-04-18 18:31:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

Mark True <darfoo(at)gmail(dot)com> schrieb:

> Here is the question:
>
> I have a situation where I need to create triggers to cascade an insert
> operation to many tables to maintain foreign key constraints.
>
> So at a high level
>
> INSERT INTO myTable (Name, Address, Zip) VALUES ('Mark', '3 Dingle St.',
> '01832')
>
> myTable has a relation to two other tables, which contain Zip and Address.
> Before I insert into myTable I want to:
>
> Check if '3 Dingle St.' exists in table Address, if not insert it
> Check if '01832' exists in table Zip and if not insert it

For such task i write a function (plpgsql). This obtains all parameters,
do the checks and insert into the other tables and the table with the fk
constraints.

HTH, Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknow)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°