Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?

From: richard <richard(at)sheugh(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?
Date: 2006-04-17 20:01:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

Just in case this has not been covered in this thread, I will
point out that for some speed of operation is of no great interest
in selection of a database. The processes I run spend 90% of their
time in the application and data transfer, and 10% in the database.

Of course I endorse the comments that a lot of work and knowledge
is needed to get the best out of postgresql in terms of speed, but
for me it runs quickly enough using the defaults. If speed
becomes an issue I will ask the mailing list, but I suspect that
good database design is much more important.

Areas that may be of more interest than speed are: support;
documentation; table and tuple locking; data backup and restoration;
interface to perl; interface to ODBC; compliance with standards;
scalability. These are something a novice, by definition, cannot
evaluate.

I didn't spend a lot of time evaluating postgresql's features
against other DB's. I took the advice of someone I could trust.
Maybe if I was building a web app, or running mythTV, or storing
cooking recipies I might now be running a different db.

HTH

Richard A Lough