Re: Colors/bold chars in a select?

From: Ennio-Sr <nasr(dot)laili(at)tin(dot)it>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Colors/bold chars in a select?
Date: 2006-04-13 22:13:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

* operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com> [130406, 13:49]:
> > Hi all!
> > This is just a peregrine thought:
> > is it at all possible to print (on screen) in bold
> > chars/or colour the
> > lines of a select result that satisfy a certain
> > condition?
> > Regards,
> > Ennio
>
> it seems to me that the method woul dbe specific to
> whatever system you are using to display the data.
>
> eg, if the display is html, then you could include
> html (or some conversion that could be converted back
> to avoid scripting attacks) where applicable.
>
> you may also be able to display the text and apply
> regexes in order to identify the characters and then
> make them bold without the html in the db.
>
> perhaps a stored procedure could help with this, but i
> lack experience in that area as of now.
>
> this seems like more of an application problem than a
> db problem, though.

Mmmm...
I fear that your last sentence is very true and unluckily enough is what
I would need to accomplish my goal; I'm already getting a coloured
display of the result of my selection ...; but let me explain better
what I was thinking about, as I realize it was not very clear:

Suppose the result of my select is a table like this:

item ..... price_at_time_X ..... price_at_time_Y
aaaa 10.1245 12.13
bbbb 5.14 5.04
cccc 0.10 0.12

My question is: can I get a coloured evidence that time_Y prices of
items 'aaaa' and 'bbbb' are higher than at time_X so as to get a more
immediate evidence of what is going on? Think about stock prices, as an
example ;-)
[I've already arranged to have separate lists of all items with
higher/lower prices, but was wondering whether there was any other
possibility]

Thanks for your answer, anyway.
Regards,
Ennio.

--
[Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo. \\?//
Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!" (diceva Henry Miller) ] (°|°)