Skip site navigation (1) Skip section navigation (2)

BUG #2386: pg_restore doesn't restore large objects

From: "Patrick Headley" <LinxConsulting(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2386: pg_restore doesn't restore large objects
Date: 2006-04-11 03:53:37
Message-ID: 200604110353.k3B3rb69092089@wwwmaster.postgresql.org (view raw or flat)
Thread:
Lists: pgsql-bugs
The following bug has been logged online:

Bug reference:      2386
Logged by:          Patrick Headley
Email address:      LinxConsulting(at)comcast(dot)net
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.4 +
Operating system:   Windows XP
Description:        pg_restore doesn't restore large objects
Details: 

I have been trying to restore some PostgreSQL databases with a single large
object in them. By single I mean a single table with one lo and only one
record. Using the pg_restore utility that ships with the Windows version of
PGAdmin III v1.4.1 and 1.4.2 didn't work. I was finally able to restore the
databases with the pg_restore that was on the Mac OS X machine hosting the
PostgreSQL Server. Postgres was compiled and installed by using the Fink
project. The version on that machine is 8.1.x.

Backups don't seem to be the problem as I was able to make a backup using
the Windows version of pg_backup that was shipped with PGAdmin III v1.4.2. I
also tried v1.4.1 and though I didn't realize it was a restore problem the
backups didn't error out in any way. The restore operation did error out in
the same way.

I tried restoring by using the pg_restore that ships with v1.4.1 and 1.4.2
of PGAdmin III on both a Windows XP machine to a Mac OS X 10.4 server
hosting PostgreSQL v8.0.7 and on a Windows Server 2003 hosting it's own
Postgres server v8.0.4 and from the Windows XP machine to the Windows Server
2003 machine. None of those combinations worked.

What finally worked was logging onto the Mac OS X machine and running
pg_restore from the bin directory. That machine has a Fink compiled and
installed version of PostgreSQL. I don't know yet if the restore will work
on the G4 machines but suspect that it will. It just seems to be something
to do with the Windows dll.

I thgought I saw something on a custom pg_restore but I don't remember where
I saw that. Maybe I was using a custom pg_restore without knowing it. If so,
and if this issue isn't a bug I appologize. However, I searched on the
Internet for several hours while trying to figure out what to do and cannot
find anything regarding this problem.

Please let me know if there is something that I may have done wrong or if
you can reproduce the symptom.

Patrick Headley.

Responses

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: 维 姜Date: 2006-04-11 07:11:46
Subject: constraints & tableoid [pgsql8.1]
Previous:From: Peter BrantDate: 2006-04-10 20:00:36
Subject: Re: BUG #2371: database crashes with semctl failed error

Privacy Policy | About PostgreSQL
Copyright © 1996-2014 The PostgreSQL Global Development Group