Re: Query using SeqScan instead of IndexScan

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: chris smith <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Brendan Duddridge <brendan(at)clickspace(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query using SeqScan instead of IndexScan
Date: 2006-04-01 15:32:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 11:23:37AM +1000, chris smith wrote:
> On 4/1/06, Brendan Duddridge <brendan(at)clickspace(dot)com> wrote:
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > I'm not quite sure what you mean by the correlation of category_id?
>
> It means how many distinct values does it have (at least that's my
> understanding of it ;) ).

Your understanding is wrong. :) What you're discussing is n_distinct.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/view-pg-stats.html

correlation: "Statistical correlation between physical row ordering and
logical ordering of the column values. This ranges from -1 to +1. When
the value is near -1 or +1, an index scan on the column will be
estimated to be cheaper than when it is near zero, due to reduction of
random access to the disk. (This column is NULL if the column data type
does not have a < operator.)"

In other words, the following will have a correlation of 1:

1
2
3
998
999
1000

And this is -1...

1000
999
2
1

While this would have a very low correlation:

1
1000
2
999

The lower the correlation, the more expensive an index scan is, because
it's more random. As I mentioned, I believe that the current index scan
cost estimator is flawed though, because it will bias heavily against
correlations that aren't close to 1 or -1.

So, what does

SELECT * FROM pg_stats WHERE tablename='table' AND attname='category_id';

show?