Re: Slony-I for circular replication

From: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, bmihajlov(at)yahoo(dot)com
Subject: Re: Slony-I for circular replication
Date: 2006-03-30 15:15:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:22:38 -0500
Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> wrote:
> On Thursday 30 March 2006 08:34, Bojidar Mihajlov wrote:
> > Can Slony-I be used for circular replication (A
> > <replicates> B <replicates> A)
> > or there is some kind of problem with locking or
> > anything else?
>
> Sounds like you want some kind of synchronous federated multi-master
> repication... which Slony-I wont do and I don't know of any system that will.
> You might be able to get some of that functionality using views and multiple
> replication sets, but that conversation really ought to take place on a more
> appropriate list, like the Slony list for example.

I had to do multi-master replication for a major project and we wound
up writing our own replication system. The problem is that this sort of
thing really has to be based on your own business rules. There is no
way to make it generic. At least, that was the conclusion we came to.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> | Democracy is three wolves