Re: Database possible corruption , unsolvable mystery

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Eric Lauzon" <eric(dot)lauzon(at)abovesecurity(dot)com>, "stef" <stef(at)ummon(dot)com>, "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Database possible corruption , unsolvable mystery
Date: 2006-03-30 05:14:27
Lists: pgsql-performance
Eric,

> Thank you , this might be a good solution , but we have a bigger upgrade
> comming for 8.1.x later on,
> but considering that other things out of our hands might occur , we
> might seriously look into it after fixing
> the current problems :) [because we dont think that upgrading right now
> will magicly fix the problem we are having.]

It probably won't, but it will prevent a re-occurance before you get around to
the 8.1 upgrade.   How much time have you wasted on this issue already, an
issue which might not have occurred if you'd kept up with patch releases?  A
patch upgrade is what, 5 minutes of downtime?

> And on about 10 database [all 7.4.6] it is the first time this occur ,
> and the symtom is really on one table, considering
> a few terabytes of data sparsed accros a few db, we might have been
> lucky yet but as of now its the first time
> we can see performance hit only on "delete".

Well, that would be in line with the issues 7.4.7-7.4.12.  All of them require
millesecond-timing to hit the bug.  You're not likely to see it more than
once.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions