Re: Decide between Postgresql and Mysql (help of

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, Marcos <mjs_ops(at)gmx(dot)net>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Decide between Postgresql and Mysql (help of
Date: 2006-03-28 21:56:08
Lists: pgsql-performance
Heh, too quick on the send button...

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 09:42:51PM +0200, PFC wrote:
> 	I'll only speak about MyISAM. MySQL == MyISAM. InnoDB is useless :
> 	if you  want transactions, use postgres.
> 	If you say to yourself "oh yeah, but it would be cool to use a
> 	MyISAM  table for stuff like hit counters etc"... Is it the job of a SQL
> database  to count hits on the root page of your site ? No. To store user
> sessions ?  No. The job of a SQL database is to efficiently handle data,
> not to do  something that should stay in RAM in the application server
> process, or at  worst, in a memcached record.

Actually, it's entirely possible to do stuff like web counters, you just
want to do it differently in PostgreSQL. Simply insert into a table
every time you have a hit, and then roll that data up periodically.

And using MyISAM is no panacea, either. Trying to keep a web counter in
a MyISAM table means you'll serialize every web page on that counter
update.