Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Leon Pu <leon_xf_pu(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)cn>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL support on Redhat Advance Server 2.1
Date: 2006-03-27 12:03:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 11:54:29PM -0800, Leon Pu wrote:
> --- Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> > "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
> > > No there is not. I actually suggest, considering your ancient
> > version of
> > > RedHat that you install from source.
> >
> > Better yet, install a more modern Red Hat release ;-)
> >
> > AS2.1 is very far into the "legacy" part of its support cycle. You
> > shouldn't even be thinking of installing new applications on top of
> > it
> > --- the only reason to be running it at all is "this server works and
> > we don't want to fix what's not broken". You won't get any support
> > from
> > Red Hat for running PG 8.anything on AS2.1, so why would you choose
> > that
> > combination of releases?
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> you are right, it's unresonable to run PostgreSQL 8.x on RHEL 2.1.
>
> Since there are no support between both PostgreSQL and RHEL side for
> PostgreSQL 8.x and RHEL 2.1, and I cannot upgrade the operating system.
> I think I have to use PostgreSQL 7.4.7.

Well, you might be able to buy support for 8.1 on RHEL 2 from someone
other than Red Hat, if support is your primary concern. In any case, you
do not want to be using 7.4.7, since there's data corruption bugs that
have been fixed since then. I'd hope that RH would support at least the
most recent version of 7.4, since presumably that's part of what they
pay Tom for... Just understand that 7.4 is approaching end-of-life.
(Presumably so is RHEL2...)