Does a connection support multiple transactions.

From: johnf <jfabiani(at)yolo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Does a connection support multiple transactions.
Date: 2006-03-27 19:28:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

Suse 10.0 using the Free Pascal Compiler connection version 2.1.1.

I have opened a connection to a database (FPC uses the postgres c interface).
When I attempt to make two queries using the same connection I get an error
that suggest I have to close the first query (it actually sends a 'begin').
The question is NOT how Pascal works but if Postgres will accept multiple
queries via one connection or do queries have to be serial. Will postgres
allow two queries to overlap? I think postgres will allow nested
'begins' (not sure about that). I'm not sure I'm asking the question
correctly. But in the windows world I only open one connection (normally via
ODBC) and can make several queries (one right after the other and sometimes
in the same query i.e 'select * from customers;select * from contacts').
Each of the queries are live and I'm able to update if required. I have to
save the data with a commit but I still can have the two queries available.

I'm sure this question is not very clear but I hope some guru will figure it
out.

Thanks

John