Re: pgNixInstaller: Making PostgreSQL relocatable

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Enver ALTIN <ealtin(at)parkyeri(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Devrim Gunduz <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Nicolai Tufar <ntufar(at)gmail(dot)com>, Burcu Guzel <burcu(dot)guzel(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pgNixInstaller: Making PostgreSQL relocatable
Date: 2006-03-24 12:25:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 07:47:13PM -0500, John DeSoi wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2006, at 12:15 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >OK ... it's supposed to work to shift the whole installation tree to
> >a new root, ie, paths to places like the /share and /lib directories
> >are determined relative to where the backend executable actually is.
> >If this is not working on Solaris then for sure we want to know ...
>
> It is not relocatable on OS X. The full prefix path seems to be used
> instead. For example:

I don't understand. Dynamic linkers have for years been smart enough to
find libraries by themselves. Fixed paths are a pain, which is why
Debian forbids the use of RPATH for example.

Anyway, looking at the manpage of otool it doesn't say that it just
prints the raw name, so perhaps it's doing the same as ldd. To be sure
you'd need to strings the binary to see what it says.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/otool.1.html

Have a nice day,