Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: ebcorder(at)rockwellcollins(dot)com, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL a slow DB?
Date: 2006-03-23 22:14:51
Lists: pgsql-novice
> Hi All
> I started using PostgreSQL\Postgis in January.
> Lately I have been
> reading on the internet many rumblings about
> PostgreSQL being slower than
> MySQL/SQLLite etc etc.  Comparisons made were
> routine inserts , updates,
> and deletes.   Is any of this true?   If so,are
> there methods to speed
> things up?    I used the Explain Analyze command on
> portgesSQL it seemed
> fast although I have not run any other DB's.
> I know when comparison tests are performed they can
> be tilted on these
> internet sites.  But I see so many people declaring
> PostgreSQL to be the
> slowest I am thinking where there is smoke there's
> fire.
> Elwood Cordery
> Rockwell Collins
> Contract Software Engineer
> 319-295-8248

you've been using PGSQL for almost 3 months now.  do
*you* think it is slow for your application and

for my intranet application, pgsql is blazing fast -
at least with several hundred rows and complex
selects.  the data will grow over time, however, it
isn't like i have 2 million rows, but i do have some
reasonably advanced selects (or so it seems to me!).

mysql has a reputation for being slightly faster for
simple tasks.  i'm not sure how true that is now that
they have stapled on a lot of advanced db features
that postgresql had integrated from the beginning.

did you see that sony online entertainment chose
postgresql for their gaming site?

Do You Yahoo!?