Re: Get docs for contrib on the web somewhere

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Get docs for contrib on the web somewhere
Date: 2006-03-18 07:16:35
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Saturday 18 March 2006 02:00, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> writes:
> > On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 04:19:58PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> >> Could we require contrib authors to provide their documentation as sgml,
> >> and then have the doc build process loop in each contrib module as an
> >> appendix inside the official docs?
> >
> > Can't we just copy the text files over somewhere?
>
> I think the entire point of contrib is that it's "not ready for prime
> time" code, and one of the ways in which it's likely to be not ready
> is not having sgml-format documentation.
>
> If someone wants to step up and do the work to convert the existing
> contrib doc files to sgml, I certainly won't stand in the way --- but
> I'm not prepared to remove contrib entries just because they don't have
> sgml-format docs.

Well sure... I'd probably be willing to help out with that, considering that
(in theory) we're going to be removing some of them anyway, so that would cut
down on the work. And this could be a requirement for future contrib items. I
think the real question is would someone be willing to step up and fix the
build process to pull these items into the main docs if they were to be
converted to sgml. I think that's the harder of the two problems to solve.

--
Robert Treat