BUG #2305: "No bufferspace available" error on large insert

From: "H(dot) Guijt" <hg(at)terma(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2305: "No bufferspace available" error on large insert
Date: 2006-03-07 13:05:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2305
Logged by: H. Guijt
Email address: hg(at)terma(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.3
Operating system: Windows 2000
Details:

We are using PostgreSQL 8.0.3 on Windows 2000, and using pgsql to insert a
series of records into a database. The table into which we are inserting has
a string column, two integer columns, and two BYTEA columns.

Upon issuing the insert statement I receive the following error message:

"could not send data to server: No buffer space available
(0x00002747/10055)"

I suspect that this happens because we are inserting a lot of data: the
first BYTEA column is about 1.8MB, while the second is about 0.5MB.
However...

- The same operation completes without problems when running on other
machines (which are all running Windows XP and the same Postgres version).

- We have inserted even longer records (10MB+) on this machine without
problems.

- This insert is part of a larger group of inserts; the total group size is
the largest we have ever tried on this machine.

- The problem can be reliably reproduced.

- The machine has 384MB of memory. It gives no indication of being starved
for memory during the operation (responsiveness of the system is not
compromised).