Re: TODO item: remove postmaster -o option

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Markus Bertheau" <mbertheau(dot)pg(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO item: remove postmaster -o option
Date: 2006-03-06 19:03:45
Lists: pgsql-patches
Markus Bertheau wrote:
> The docs say
>
> "The use of this option is obsolete; all command-line options
> for server processes can be specified directly on the
> postmaster command line"

First, note the use of "obsolete" -- there are better ways to achieve
what you want -- as opposed to "deprecated" -- the use is recommended
against (for some reason to be specified).  If we make a plan to remove
the -o option sometime, we should use the latter and announce our
intentions.  That needs to be discussed, though.

The above documentation is only in the development branch, so deriving a
justification for removing that option from that is premature anyway.

--
Peter Eisentraut