Re: character encoding in StartupMessage

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>,PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: character encoding in StartupMessage
Date: 2006-02-28 15:05:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> This may be the only solution. Converting everything to UTF-8 has
> issues because some encodings are not roundtrip-safe (Enc -> UTF8 -> Enc
> gives you a different string than you started with). There's probably
> no encoding round-trip safe with every other encoding.

Is this still true?  If I remember clearly, Tatsuo-san had asserted that
this was the case, but later he said there was some bug in our
conversion routines or the conversion tables.  So maybe now that those
things are fixed (they are, aren't they?) there _is_ a safe roundtrip
from anything to UTF8 and back.