Re: How many postmasters should be running?

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: "Stock, Stuart" <Stuart(dot)Stock(at)DrKW(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How many postmasters should be running?
Date: 2006-02-28 02:59:20
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 09:05:51PM -0500, Stock, Stuart wrote:
> A few minutes ago, we were surprised to find a second postmaster process
> running on our database machine as a child of the original postmaster. The
> child postmaster was around for about a minute then disappeared. This is a
> Opteron machine running RedHat AS4 with Postgres 8.1.2.
>
> Does the postmaster process ever spawn a child postmaster? Is this normal?

Each connection causes the postmaster to fork a new process to
handle that connection. When the connection ends so does that
process; that might be what you saw. For more information see the
"Monitoring Database Activity" and postmaster documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/monitoring.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/app-postmaster.html

--
Michael Fuhr