Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Mark Woodward" <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Date: 2006-02-27 19:41:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Mark,

> Well, I'm sure that one "could" use debian's solution, but that's the
> problem, it isn't PostgreSQL's solution. Shouldn't PostgreSQL provide
> the mechanisms? Will debian support FreeBSD? NetBSD? Is it in the
> PostgreSQL admin manual?
>
> We are talking about a feature, like pg_service.conf, now that people
> notice it, we are saying "WOW, this is the API we should push." This is
> a functionality, IMHO, must be the responsibility of PostgreSQL.

Then stop talking about it and write a patch.

So far, you've failed to convince anyone else on this list that the
functionality you suggest is actually useful for anyone other that you,
personally.  The only way you're going to do so is to put up some code
somewhere other people can use it and prove that it's useful.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions