Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle tried to buy MySQL
Date: 2006-02-24 17:50:42
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >> However, since PostgreSQL developers aren't centralized, that would
> >> leave Oracle with a problem. Anyone in the world who wanted a job at
> >> Oracle could just hack some PostgreSQL code for a couple months :)
> >>

> > Yes, hiring our developers is one of our three risks.  The other two are
> > a copyright purchase from the owner (Marc),

> I think you mean Trademark, at which point we just change our name so no
> big deal.

Yes, sorry.  I think ICANN would pull our DNS registry on the production
of a document stating they owned the trademark, even if it was
unenforceable.  It would just delay us while we disputed it or renamed
our project.

(FYI, there has been talk of moving back to the old "Postgres" name, but
that is just talk.)

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us
  SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com