Re: Access as a front-end or another query builder

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Ellen Cyran <ellen(at)urban(dot)csuohio(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Access as a front-end or another query builder
Date: 2006-02-23 23:53:31
Lists: pgsql-odbc
On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:17:49AM -0500, Ellen Cyran wrote:
> I've tried the many suggestions about making Access as a front-end to
> postgreSQL faster, i.e. turned the ODBC trace off, set Declare/Fetch On,
> used the commlog, but it still is about 10 times slower than running the
> queries in pgadmin.  The Access pass-thru queries kind of defeat the
> purpose of having a query builder since there isn't any design view with
> them. Is there an FAQ on setting up Access as a front-end or just steps
> that are known to provide reasonable performance?
>
> Are there any good free query builders out there?

Unfortunately I don't know of any good GUI front ends, free or not. But
if you're only looking to build queries that you're then embedding into
an application, there are probably some commercial tools you could use
But since I do stuff 'the hard way', I can't really recommend any.
Though, would pgAdmin do what you wanted? It might have a query builder.