Re: Attempting upgrade path; is this possible?

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
Cc: Shaun Thomas <sthomas(at)leapfrogonline(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Attempting upgrade path; is this possible?
Date: 2006-02-23 00:22:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:51:29AM +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> The requirement for (candidate) primary key's may still be prohibiting,
> as currently creating an index on large table locks that table for
> writes for the duration of create index.

Plus, if the tables already have OIDs, you *might* be able to create a
unique index on those (watch out for OID rollover, though) and tell
slony to use that (actually, one of the perl tools should pick it up
automagically).

Or, like Hannu suggests, just let slony create the keys for you. You can
always drop them later. Actually, I believe Slony will drop them for you
if you drop the node.