pgAdmin server properties dialog

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgAdmin server properties dialog
Date: 2006-02-22 11:16:55
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
I have a few comments on the server properties dialog on issues that have
bothered me for a long time.

First, the title of the window is something like "Server localhost", which
means nothing.  Perhaps this should be "Connection Properties" or "Server
Properties".

When I read "Description" I think of sentence or paragraph length descriptions
(cf. ODBC data sources).  Perhaps "Name" is better.

Then, the term "Address" is a bit confusing.  PostgreSQL tools typically use
the terms host, port, username, database.  So please use "Host" here, too.

The "Service" field is unclear to me and it clashes with the termin service as
applied by libpq.  See concurrent discussion on pgsql-hackers.

"store password" should be capitalized.

Overall, the arrangement of the fields could be optimized.  The "Description"
field is something that the user makes up whereas the other ones are
necessitated by the environment, so it would be sense to group them together
that way.  Also, host and port should be closer together.  I imagine this
would be better:

Name:
Host:
Port:   SSL:
Username:
Password:
Store Password:
Maintenance DB:
Service(?):
Connection Now:

I would also welcome as a click-saving measure that "Connection Now" be
transformed into a button.  So replace the OK buttong by, say, "Save" and
"Save and Connect".

--
Peter Eisentraut

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2006-02-22 11:31:05