Re: table inheritance

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Shuying Wang <wang(dot)shuying(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: table inheritance
Date: 2006-02-22 05:56:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 04:39:12PM +1100, Shuying Wang wrote:
> I've got table x and table y which inherits table x. I want to get
> items from table x which are not in table y. According to the
> PostgreSQL documentation, the syntax would be "select * FROM ONLY x"
> however this yields no rows, whereas something like "select * from x
> where id not in (select id from y) " gives me what I want. Could
> someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong using ONLY?

Do any other tables inherit x? What's the output of the following
query?

SELECT tableoid::regclass, * FROM x WHERE id NOT IN (SELECT id FROM y);

Could you show a simple but complete test case? It works fine here
in 8.1.3:

CREATE TABLE x (id integer);
CREATE TABLE y () INHERITS (x);

INSERT INTO x VALUES (1);