Resurrecting some old patches

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Resurrecting some old patches
Date: 2006-02-21 12:50:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Late last year I posted some patches for psql but they were deferred
pending the release of 8.2. However, they are not in the patch queue
so I thought I'd bring them up again now the release is done.

1. Dealing with a buggy readline on some platforms w.r.t. --as-needed.

The serious arguments for --as-needed have gone now we exclude various
libs from the main postgres binary. However, the other executables
still include a lot more libs than necessary.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-10/msg01364.php

2. Handling Ctrl-C pressed while running an external pager.

This bug still irritates me from time to time so it would be nice to
fix it for once and for all. Not to meantion the memory and file
descriptor leaks caused by the current code. However, the tree has
deviated significantly since that patch was posted. I have prepared a
version against HEAD if people are still interested. The details are in

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2005-10/msg00194.php

The only change from that is that I've now also removed paging support
from the following programs:

createdb, createlang, createuser, dropdb, droplang, dropuser,
clusterdb, vacuumdb, reindexdb.

In so far as it's not clear how much they used the paging support
anyway, keeping it would require setting up of the signal handlers the
same way psql does since the code is shared. I figured it wasn't worth
it.

The new patch is here but can be posted to -patches if there is
sufficient interest:
http://svana.org/kleptog/pgsql/psql-ctrlc2.patch

Have a nice day,