Re: ScanDirections

From: James William Pye <pgsql(at)jwp(dot)name>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ScanDirections
Date: 2006-02-20 02:46:18
Lists: pgsql-patches
On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 09:04:09PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> James William Pye <pgsql(at)jwp(dot)name> writes:
> > Small patch that makes ScanDirection a char(f|b|n) instead of a int or
> > long or whatever enum makes it.
>
> Why is this a good idea?

A more appropriately sized variable for the data that it will be holding?
Certainly not a stunning improvement considering that it's only three bytes.

> It strikes me as likely to break things, without really buying anything.

I tried to be careful and track everything down. However, I imagine I could
have easily missed something, so I understand that concern.

In any case, some parts of the patch merely makes some code make use of the
sdir.h macros instead of depending on -1/0/1--heapam in particular. At least
those portions should be applied, no?
--
Regards, James William Pye