Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe"

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Leonard Soetedjo <stelar(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe"
Date: 2006-02-16 08:28:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:39:08AM +0800, Leonard Soetedjo wrote:
> Sidetracking a little, I've got to admit that I'm not very sure of
> the impact of ORM to databases. Some OO proponents insist on not
> using stored procedure etc. unless there is a compelling reason
> (e.g. Martin Fowler in his book Patterns of Enterprise Application
> Architecture).

I've found "compelling reasons" any time my app isn't one I could
simply download from freshmeat, so I suppose this is true, but only
vacuously.

> So actually a database like MySQL4 would suffice, as much as I hate
> to say it.

Not if you want to get data back out when you put it in, it isn't.

Cheers,
David Fetter david(at)fetter(dot)org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!