Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS

From: "Jay Greenfield" <jag(at)timberline(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres slower than MS ACCESS
Date: 2006-02-15 21:29:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

I've been vacuuming between each test run.

Not vacuuming results in times all the way up to 121 minutes. For a direct
comparison with Access, the vacuuming time with Postgres should really be
included as this is not required with Access.

By removing all of the indexes I have been able to get the Postgres time
down to 4.35 minutes with default setting for all except the following:
fsync: off
work_mem: 1024000
shared_buffers: 10000

I did a run with checkpoint_segments @ 30 (from 3 in 4.35 min run) and
posted a time of 6.78 minutes. Any idea why this would increase the time?

Thanks,

Jay.