Re: Free WAL caches on switching segments

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Free WAL caches on switching segments
Date: 2006-02-13 18:13:58
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Depending on OS features we have never depended on before is a *huge*
> >> ongoing maintenance cost, and I have not seen an argument that I think
> >> justifies this one.
>
> > I disagree. It is a localized change and seems like a win, and it uses
> > a standard POSIX feature, rather than an OS-specific one.
>
> It's still gonna need a configure test and so on. "POSIX" does not mean
> "exists everywhere". Moreover, the submitter has not even proven that
> the code works (or even builds, much less does anything useful) on the
> platforms it's supposedly for.

The submitter believes the C macro test is sufficient:

I think we can use _POSIX_ADVISORY_INFO to test if posix_fadvise exists.
Also, I added the check on whether WAL archiving is enabled, because
archivers might use the caches to read the WAL segment.

I assume if it follows the POSIX spec it will work on all platforms that
support this feature.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us