Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Cornelia Boenigk <poppcorn(at)cornelia-boenigk(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and
Date: 2006-02-11 06:49:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Marc,

> This is what I thought ... now, what happens if the Zend engine is pulled
> out of PHP? Does that cripple the PHP project, or just inconvience it?
>
> For instance, I know if I don't download/install the Zend Optimizer, and
> do a 'phpinfo()', it still lists the Zend Engine itself, so its part of
> the *base* PHP build ...

Actually, some of the PHP developers a couple years ago wanted to put PHP on
Parrot and abandon the Zend Engine completely. There was a big showdown at
PHPCon in 2003 or 2004 in which the independant developers battled it out
with Zend and lost. I think Bruce was there, actually.

So if Oracle+Zend tried to start changing the direction of PHP I think we'd
see the direction of PHP change in short order. This might be a good thing,
actually.

On the other hand, I am worried about PDO. Currently I think both of the core
PDO developers are working for Oracle, which could be bad news for real
database agonosticism in the new driver. Another reason to look at Parrot.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions