Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Cornelia Boenigk <poppcorn(at)cornelia-boenigk(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Oracle buying Sleepycat, JBoss, and
Date: 2006-02-11 06:49:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> This is what I thought ... now, what happens if the Zend engine is pulled
> out of PHP?  Does that cripple the PHP project, or just inconvience it?
> For instance, I know if I don't download/install the Zend Optimizer, and
> do a 'phpinfo()', it still lists the Zend Engine itself, so its part of
> the *base* PHP build ...

Actually, some of the PHP developers a couple years ago wanted to put PHP on
Parrot and abandon the Zend Engine completely.  There was a big showdown at
PHPCon in 2003 or 2004 in which the independant developers battled it out
with Zend and lost.  I think Bruce was there, actually.

So if Oracle+Zend tried to start changing the direction of PHP I think we'd
see the direction of PHP change in short order.  This might be a good thing,

On the other hand, I am worried about PDO.  Currently I think both of the core
PDO developers are working for Oracle, which could be bad news for real
database agonosticism in the new driver.  Another reason to look at Parrot.

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco