Re: LATIN1/9 conversion....

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: Tim Clarke <Tim(dot)Clarke(at)manifest(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LATIN1/9 conversion....
Date: 2006-02-10 10:58:18
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> > > You can clearly see my latin1 request followed shortly by
> > the latin9. I
> > > have examined the ODBC code and it looks like the culprit
> > is a code page
> > > of 1252.
> >
> > It could be interesting to see mylog output from Windows.
>
> I'm not running Postgres on Windows, just have some 'doze clients.

:-) mylog is output from psqlODBC driver. You can enable it in ODBC
manager or by adding debug=1 in connection string (I don't know which
way do you use).

> > I don't understand well why it choose latin1 and then latin9.
>
> Seems to be hardcoded in the ODBC driver? File

It's strange for me that it's choosing twice.

> > Don't you specify 'set client_encoding to latin1' in DataSource
> > settings?
>
> Yup - you can see it in the log I originally sent - ODBC driver then
> sends the latin9 request!

This is the answer :-)
Hmmm. The driver doesn't care this one setting. It override it
automatically :-( Are you able to compile the driver yourself?
If so I can post you the hint how to disable automatic encoding
detection.

> > It means you may use "PostgreSQL Unicode" driver instead of
> > "PostgreSQL ANSI"
>
> We have found that the euro symbol and other accented characters are not
> correctly stored if we do that. This database is currently coming across
> nightly from an Oracle database so I'll be able to switch to Unicode
> once that transition is complete. Real soon now.

I'm not sure if we are both talking about same thing.
When you use LATIN1 PgSQL database and UNICODE psqlODBC driver there is
the problem?
I'm a little bit confused how it depend on "This database is currently
coming across nightly from an Oracle database". My English isn't
good. Maybe I only understand you bad.

What psqlODBC driver do you use? 08.00.0102 os some 08.01.XXXX?

Regards,

Luf