Re: Audio interview

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Audio interview
Date: 2006-02-08 18:33:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 09:00:46AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:43:40PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > You mentioned in-place upgrade scripts. Are those in contrib/
> > somewhere? On GBorg? On PgFoundry? If not, could you put them
>
> /contrib/pg_upgrade

I see it in the attic, but not in CVS TIP. Is there some way to get
it back? Or should it go somewhere else until it's at least slightly
working?

> > somewhere? As far as converting them from shell to Perl, I'm sure
> > you'll find a flock of volunteers to help.
>
> Yea, but the problem with modifying the disk pages is still a
> problem.

I understand that not everybody will choose this path, but we've gone
to a *lot* of trouble--and as you pointed out, have benefitted
directly from the effort--to provide pointy-hair checkboxes like the
Windows port. "In-place upgrade" is one of those checkboxes, and I'm
pretty confident that getting it working will have at a minimum the
same benefits to the rest of the code that making the Windows port
did.

Cheers,
David Fetter david(at)fetter(dot)org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778