Re: PHP/postgreSQL

From: vince(at)weaktight(dot)com
To: Jeff MacDonald <jam(at)zoidtechnologies(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PHP/postgreSQL
Date: 2006-02-05 05:50:01
Lists: pgsql-php

Quoting Jeff MacDonald <jam(at)zoidtechnologies(dot)com>:

>> I'm not sure if my web host would allow me to run a postgreSQL
>> server on it as
>> well. So, ftp'ing the database up once a day say may not be an option.
>
> ask. if they say no, get an isp that will say yes.
>
>> One of my original thoughts (before I understood the systems at all)
>> was that I would have to have a "cron" job running on my local machine
>> that would ftp up data as it was collected. The webserver, the next
>> time a php script ran, would check for new data, parse it, add it to
>> the mySQL database on the webserver, and then run the scripts using
>> the data from the webserver's mySQL server.
>
> have you considered SOAP? as much as I "love" mySQL, it does work (most
> of the time ;)) and with SOAP you can still update your data fairly
> often.
>
> regards,
> --
> Jeff MacDonald
> Zoid Technologies, http://zoidtechnologies.com/

I am still on a 30 day trial with their hosting, but I'm new to web
development,
so I'm slow to code up the things I want and wasn't sure what I needed going
into this...

I'm not quite sure what role SOAP would play in the desired system, but I'll
look into it.

Thanks for your help,
Vince.
Another technology to learn!