Re: Multiple logical databases

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiple logical databases
Date: 2006-02-03 19:17:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Jeremy,

> The immediate use I thought of was being able to have what appeared to
> be multiple databases on the same server with different locale settings,
> which cannot be changed post-initdb.

Again, this is patching the symtoms instead of going after the cause. The
real issue you're trying to address is not being able to set locale per
database, which is what we really want.

Not that symptomatic cures are out of the question for add-ons, like pgPool
(and I could see a lot of uses for a pgPool that could obscure the fact
that it was connecting to multiple servers). But they aren't the way to
go for the core code.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus