Re: Backslashes in string literals

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backslashes in string literals
Date: 2006-02-03 01:21:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> >> to generalize it.  As far as I can tell from some testing today,
> >> everything works fine issuing statements through a connection, but
> psql
> >> isn't settled down.
> >
> > Sounds like you made great progress!
>
> Thanks.  It was actually pretty easy once I took the time to learn
> flex.  I'd kinda winged it in my emergency compile-time version.  I'm
> pretty sure that what I've done works; my biggest concern is over what
> I've missed.  For example, I was using pg_dump and pg_restore today and
> realized that these, and other applications, likely need some kind of
> work to support the feature.

Right, I will look over the rest of the code and fix any places you
missed.  I think most of it centers around ESCAPE_STRING_SYNTAX usage.

> > The proper way to do (1) is to call libpq's pqSaveParameterStatus()
> from
> > psql.  Take a look for psql's session_username().  It is called
> > everytime the prompt is printed if the username is required.  One
> great
> > feature of using pqSaveParameterStatus() is that it reads server
> packets
> > and keeps the tracked value updated for you without query overhead.
>
> I'll take a look at it.  If I feel confident that I "get it", I'll do
> the work and post another patch.  Would you prefer that I resend the
> whole works, or just the delta?

I would like the whole patch rather than just an additional one.  Again,
I will review it and polish whatever you don't do.

> Also, since we're doing this out of need to fix the issue on our
> production system, I'm compelled to work on the stable branch.  Is it OK
> to post patches from the tip of that branch, or should I really check
> out the trunk (HEAD), too, and replicate it there for my patch posts?

The branch is fine.  I will merge any changes in to HEAD.