Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>,Rick Gigger <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com>,"Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for
Date: 2006-01-31 19:02:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 11:46:03AM +0000, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> >
> >Figuring out the correct values for some of the buffers and costs
> >is still a bit tough. Otoh, I guess there is no easy way to predict
> >all these.
> pgAdmin has a mechanism to suggest values (currently for autovacuum and
> listen_address only), which waits for expansion :-) I could think of a
> wizard that asks decent questions, resulting in proposals.
> Whether implemented as GUI or not, a questionaire and suggested
> algorithms to calculate settings (eyeballed from Core) would be a good
> starting point.

PostgreSQL *desperately* needs a better means of dealing with
configuration (though I guess I shouldn't be pushing too hard for this
since the current state of affairs brings me business). Any improvement
in this area would be very welcome. is something worth looking
Pervasive Software    work: 512-231-6117
vcard:       cell: 512-569-9461