Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Jeffrey W(dot) Baker" <jwbaker(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for
Date: 2006-01-31 18:57:52
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 08:53:54PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >If I could install Oracle on Debian/AMD64 with a shell script, I'd drop
> >Postgresql in a heartbeat.
> >
> >Obviously anybody is welcome and able to just write whatever software
> >they feel is needed, but go ahead and count me among the skeptics.
> >
> The installer is for the 98% not the 2%. You are in the 2%.

I've yet to find *anyone* who likes the Oracle installer. It's
absolutely the last thing I would use as a point of reference.

Come to think of it, the DB2 installer was a pile of crap as well...

My concern with this installer is that people are going to show up in
-general or on IRC in droves with dependancy related problems with the
installer. IMO it would be *much* better if we instead focused on
something that made it easy to install stuff out of contrib and/or
pgFoundry (and prefferably could be used without a GUI).

But, OSS works by people scratching itches, so if there's folks who want
to scratch this itch...