Re: Configuration WAS: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Jeffrey W(dot) Baker" <jwbaker(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Configuration WAS: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for
Date: 2006-01-31 20:11:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Jeffery,

> > PostgreSQL *desperately* needs a better means of dealing with
> > configuration (though I guess I shouldn't be pushing too hard for this
> > since the current state of affairs brings me business). Any
> > improvement in this area would be very welcome.
> > http://pgfoundry.org/projects/configurator/ is something worth looking
> > at.
>
> An ideal facility would be a program that analyzes the workload at
> runtime and adjusts accordingly.  That doesn't sound too hard, within
> some unambitious boundary.  If anyone would like to work on this, I'd be
> happy to contribute.

It seems pretty hard to *me*, compared with static configuration.   If you
have ideas for runtime analysis of configuration criteria, I'd be thrilled
to hear them.  From my perspective, most of them depend on backend
monitoring that we don't have yet (like querying how full the FSM is).

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions