Re: Upgrade to PG 8 before starting major development?

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Lan Barnes <lan(at)falleagle(dot)net>
Cc: Postgres Newbie <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrade to PG 8 before starting major development?
Date: 2006-01-31 05:49:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 10:49:02 -0800,
Lan Barnes <lan(at)falleagle(dot)net> wrote:
> I'm about to embark on some major development of data bases both at home
> and at work. In both cases, my servers, which are functioning perfectly,
> are installed with FC3 (postgresql-7.4.6-1.FC3.1)
>
> Would it be recommended to upgrade to FC4 before starting to get pg 8? I
> really don't want to spend the time right now, but I also don't want to
> pay for it later with an upgrade that will include table and data
> migration.
>
> Feedback?

FC3 is legacy now. You should probably be planning to upgrade to FC4 soon
or FC5 in several months, if you want to skip FC4.

The migration later shouldn't be all that bad. I think a bigger factor is
starting your development with more recent versions of tools than you will
find in FC3.

Based on what I am seeing on the fedora lists, you probably don't want to
try out FC5 just yet.

You might want to compare what versions of key packages (you care about) are
available for FC3, FC4 and FC5 and see if that helps with your decision.