Re: optimizing server for a 10 million row table

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Tony Caduto <tony(dot)caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: optimizing server for a 10 million row table
Date: 2006-01-31 02:50:45
Lists: pgsql-general

General consensus is to use 10-25% of server memory for shared_buffers,
but much of that consensus was generated before 8.0, which introduced a
much more sophisticated management scheme for shared_buffers. Basically,
you need to do some testing to see what setting will work best. Reports
back to here or -performance would be appreciated.