Re: faq?

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: Antoine <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: faq?
Date: 2006-01-27 22:03:41
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> I can't seem to find the faq. I ask this because after having seen our
> postgres/pgsql-odbc project nearly fail (the boss even suggested we convert
> to access!!!) because I failed to realise that for big tables not using the
> option "Use Declare/Fetch" meant pgsql-odbc would bring our server and
> network to a standstill. That should certainly be in the FAQ!

I agree with you. But we don't have even enough time for development.
Could you maintain the documentation? Or is here someone who could
maintain the documentation?
There is config.html in CVS (I hope Dave put it into releases too)
so you could study from it.

> BTW, could someone tell me why that is not a good option to have enabled by
> default? I assume that most dbs have at least a couple of tables where there
> are lots of rows, and seeing as a lot of odbc (vb6 anyway) users probably do

It was broken some time ago. And no every user need it. When you access
whole table it doesn't matter if you use "use declare/fetch" or not.
Then you have turned on "use declare/fetch" you don't know number
of returned rows until you reach end of result.
It isn't so clear to enable it by default.

> inserts the way we do (ie, not via execute, but by opening a table and then
> doing AddNew) it might be something to look at... anyway, the boss told us

Hey, does I miss something? There is no support for updateable cursors
in 08.01 psqlodbc driver. And it is marked as experimental feature in
07.03 version.

Regards,

Luf