Re: tool for ER diagram

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tool for ER diagram
Date: 2006-01-27 05:01:33
Lists: sfpug

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 08:09:53PM -0800, sankaran nambi wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> I would to like create an ER diagram from the database. can you
> suggest a tool that can do this for a postgres database?

DBVisualizer <http://minq.se>, which has a free version, does a
pretty good job. Last I checked, postgresql_autodoc
<http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/index.html> also did a decent job, although
it will need some other software to make the .dot diagrams look good
and the .dia ones are pretty hopeless because dia piles the tables all
on top of one another. There is also something called druid on
sf.net. 3 versions ago, I didn't have much success with it, but that
may have changed. <http://sourceforge.net/projects/druid>

In the for-pay realm, there is some nice software from SQLManager
<http://sqlmanager.net/en/products/postgresql>, even if I haven't
figured out how to get it to do crow-foot, which I'd prefer. I don't
know whether things like CA ERWin (or whatever they're calling it this
week) talks to PostgreSQL, but it's an order of magnitude more
expensive than SQLManager's offering. I couldn't get Embarcadero's
stuff to talk to PostgreSQL the last time I tried it, but this may
have changed, too.

Other not-open-source ones include
<http://www.aquafold.com/index-postgresql.html>.

I hope this helps. :)