Re: is there a default client encoding?

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: Jaime Casanova <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is there a default client encoding?
Date: 2006-01-26 19:03:06
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> i wonder if the odbc driver is sending a default client_encoding to
> the server. if so, what client_encoding? how can i determine it? if
> not, how i know what client encoding my platform uses?

psqlODBC tries to do it automatically for you. If you want see what
client_encoding is used enable mylog output and there is called
set client_encoding in the relative begin of mylog.

> applications got weird results ;). Well the point is in VB i can't
> send arbitrary commands to the server so how i set it, is the odbc
> doing it? can i change the encoding the odbc is sending?

The psqlODBC has strange behaviour. It set automatic client_encoding
_after_ user defined connection settings. So you could change the
client encoding only from application. You could call
set client_encoding SQL statement.

I hope I have answered you

Luf