Re: BUG #2204: Feature Req: Unique output column names

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Brandon Black <blblack(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2204: Feature Req: Unique output column names
Date: 2006-01-24 16:39:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:

> I haven't looked at SQL99 or SQL2003, but most likely they say the same
> thing in two or three times as many words ;-)

Thanks for the pointer.  In SQL 2003, this is 7.12
<query specification>:

17) Case:
a) If the i-th <derived column> in the <select list> specifies an
   of the i-th column of the result is CN.
b) If the i-th <derived column> in the <select list> does not specify an
   single column reference, then the <column name> of the i-th column of
   the result is the <column name> of the column designated by the
   column reference.
c) Otherwise, the <column name> of the i-th column of the <query
   specification> is implementation dependent.

So they actually simplified the third rule and we comply with it!

It would be nice to have this text in HTML or info format.  This PDF
mess is really awkward.

--
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org
"We are who we choose to be", sang the goldfinch