BUG #2203: Group by, suggested "feature"

From: "Robert Hostetter" <robert(at)newcovsoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2203: Group by, suggested "feature"
Date: 2006-01-23 14:56:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2203
Logged by: Robert Hostetter
Email address: robert(at)newcovsoft(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.1
Operating system: CentOS 4.1
Details:

I'm sure this will be considered a missing feature and not a bug, I know I
would. We are converting from MySQL to PostgreSQL, which is a huge project.
But one minor irritation we've noticed is the group by handling in
PostgreSQL. If you group by a primary key for a table, you still have to
include all the other columns you SELECT from that row, even though its
guaranteed uniuqe because its a primary key. I understand requiring the
other columns when you aren't guaranteed uniqueness, but in cases of a group
by on a unique column you shouldn't need to include the rows, its
repetitive, and makes porting harder for no reason. Also on a similar note,
you can't group by any column you don't select.