Re: Autovacuum / full vacuum (off-topic?)

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: me(at)alternize(dot)com
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>,Michael Crozier <crozierm(at)conducivetech(dot)com>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum / full vacuum (off-topic?)
Date: 2006-01-20 19:02:36
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 06:46:45PM +0100, me(at)alternize(dot)com wrote:
> >Sure... I've never been asked to consult on our stuff, and in any case,
> >I don't do web front-ends (one of the nice things about working with a
> >team of other consultants). AFAIK IIS will happily talk to PostgreSQL
> >(though maybe I'm wrong there...)
> iis (yeah, asp in a successfull productive environement hehe) & postgresql
> works even better for us than iis & mssql :-)

Just last night I was talking to someone about different databases and
what-not (he's stuck in a windows shop using MSSQL and I mentioned I'd
heard some bad things about it's stability). I realized at some point
that asking about what large installs of something exist is pretty
pointless... given enough effort you can make almost anything scale. As
an example, there's a cable company with a MySQL database that's nearly
1TB... if that's not proof you can make anything scale, I don't know
what is. ;)

What people really need to ask about is how hard it is to make something
work, and how many problems you're likely to keep encountering.
Pervasive Software    work: 512-231-6117
vcard:       cell: 512-569-9461